Sunday, November 9, 2008

We Made A Purse Today


Today Kelsey and I sat together at my sewing machine,
and I showed her how to make a purse.

Actually it's more like a smaller version of a book bag,
but it's what all the girls around here carry.
We see them all the time in stores for about $15,
but I said it would be so easy to make them and a lot cheaper.
So she wanted to do it.

Mind you, this girls hates doing things like this.
Last year in home economics class, they had to sew
4 straight seems on a piece of fabric that was going onto a
napkin holder. Hers was handed in late because she
couldn't stitch a straight line and had to keep tearing it out
and starting over. She didn't have to, she wanted too,
the teacher said it was fine. Kelsey's just a perfectionist.
She said she never wanted to sew again.

I grew up sewing.
I always made Barbie clothes and even clothes for myself.
I made my graduation dress, my wedding gown
and the bridesmaid dress.
So her not liking to sew was unimaginable to me.
It just came naturally to me so couldn't believe it
was so hard for her.

Anyway... here's the purse we made.
She picked out the fabric, it cost $3.32to make.


































It was nice spending time with her,
showing her something I'm good at.
Being able to share with her something I enjoy.

And the best part... She wants to make more.

5 comments:

Cathy said...

I so didn't know you liked to sew! It turned out soooo cute! I bet all her friends will be wanting one when she tells them yall made it :)

Kristine said...

It was a huge compliment today when the hygenist at the dentist office asked her where she got it. Said her daughter would love that.

Katy said...

I think it turned out wonderful Kristine!!! :) What a great thing for you and Kelsey to do together!

Another Mom on the Internet said...

I love it!

Adore the fabric. Can't wait to see more of Mommy and daughter creations!

Miranda said...

Awesome. Sewing is fun, huh?
She can learn to do pillowcases really easily too! Oh how 'bout a matching scrunchie to go with her purse ;)